Information Technology Unit
Head: Mirosław SIKORA
Staff: Marcin KARPEZO, Arkadiusz KILIJAŃSKI, Agnieszka KOWALUK, Maciej MASZEWSKI, Anna MIRGOS, Justyna OSMULSKA, Piotr REDEL
1. Planning, deploying and supporting Institute’s networking infrastructure.
The Nencki Institute local area network (LAN) is based on the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switch, which constitutes the network core. Cisco Catalyst 2960 devices are used for access switching. They are interconnected with 2*1 Gb/s fibre optics (Gigabit Ethernet). Connection to wide-area Internet (100 Mb/s) is secured by a firewall.
2. Managing the data center infrastructure.
The infrastructure is based on the Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS), VMware vSphere software and NetApp storage systems. The Cisco UCS architecture includes a 10 Gigabit Ethernet network, x86 blade servers and a management system. The network is based on the Cisco Unified Fabric concept, in which 10 Gigabit Ethernet is used for all types of transmissions (Ethernet and Fibre Channel, using the Fiber Channel over Ethernet standard). During the deployment 40 virtual servers were implemented on seven physical servers.
3. Deploying, supporting and administering the Institute servers, which compiles of:
• WWW servers (www.nencki.gov.pl, intra.nencki.gov.pl, bioimagine.nencki.gov.pl)
• mail and DNS server
• web mail server (poczta.nencki.gov.pl)
• internet calendar server (kalendarz.nencki.gov.pl)
• remote access server, terminal services servers
• Accounting Department servers
• internal file server
• NAS and SAN storage systems
• proxy, DHCP, time and local upgrade servers
• print servers
4. Providing front line IT support to staff of the Institute in all aspects of computer operations (Helpdesk system).
• providing digital imaging and printing facilities
• developing and coding content for WWW servers
• supervising implementation of databases application software in the Institute’s Accounting Department
• predicting and planning for the Institute’s future hardware and software needs.