Jobs and Fellowships at the Nencki Institute
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH POSITION
Project: Development of new strategies for the early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease at the Laboratory of Preclinical Testing of Higher Standard (LaPrec), Neurobiology Center, Nencki Institute, Warsaw. For information and application please contact the Laboratory Head, Prof. Urszula Wojda firstname.lastname@example.org
We search for an outstanding postdoctoral candidate to conduct innovative studies in the frame of the research project ArrestAD funded by the Horizon 2020 European Union FET-OPEN: Novel Ideas for Radically New Technologies program, an extremely competitive initiative that supported 4% of the 544 proposals it received. The proposed research is based on a recent discovery that demonstrates the central role of heparan sulfate species in neurons and in blood as a catalyst of biochemical processes that cause Alzheimer's disease. ArrestAD will test new strategies based on this concept for the treatment and early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (https://arrestad.wordpress.com).
The main task of the postdoctoral project will be verifying the hypothesis that alterations of heparan sulfate in blood in Alzheimer’s disease can be developed as a novel and early diagnostic method and examining the relationships between transcriptomics of AD pathology and changes in heparan sulfate biology.
The postdoctoral position is planned for four years (2017 – 2020).
The postdoctoral fellow will have the opportunity to work in an outstanding research environment of the Nencki Institute, in one of the most modern laboratories of the Nencki Neurobiology Center. She/he will collaborate in the frame of the ArrestAD consortium with internationally recognized experts in AD clinics and research, and will participate in international scientific training programs and conferences.
Requirements for postdoctoral candidates are:
- Strong interest in the molecular mechanisms of Alzheimer’s disease pathology and search for blood-based biomarkers
- Exceptional motivation for scientific research and clinical translation (demonstrated by publications and references by the candidate's advisor and another senior scientist)
- PhD degree in biochemistry, cell biology, biomedicine or related disciplines
- background in neurobiology and hematology or immunology
- Strong publication record
- Proven proficiency in such techniques as blood fractionation, flow cytometry, cell cultures in vitro; proficiency in confocal microscopy, immunoblotting, and transcriptomic analysis preferred
- Fluency in English; knowledge of French is a plus, but is not required
- excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team
- willingness to learn new technologies.
The Nencki Institute in Warsaw is an internationally recognized, top-ranked (A+) research institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences, distinguished by the EU Commission with the Excellence in Science award.
The Nencki Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
The application should contain the following documents/information:
- Letter of intent (the letter should explain how your skills and interests overlap with the project goals, what you hope to gain from working with us and what you think you might uniquely bring to our team)
- 2 letters of reference
- Copy of PhD diploma
- Contact information, including e-mail address and phone number
The candidates may include additional information or copies of documents/certificates in support of the application.