Laboratory of Molecular Basis of Cell Motility
Head: Maria Jolanta RĘDOWICZ
Staff: Jolanta Nowak, Magdalena Bandyszewska (PhD student), Hanna Nieznańska, Krzysztof Nieznański, Iuliia Pavlyk (PhD student), Paweł Pomorski, Magdalena Sobczak, Dariusz Stępkowski, Małgorzata Suszek (PhD student), Emilia Wojtera, Tomasz Zajkowski (PhD student)
• involvement of unconventional myosins and actin-bind- ing proteins in cell migration and intracellular trafficking – studies on normal and transformed mammalian cells, and amoebae
• role of myosin VI in myogenesis and skeletal muscle functioning
• plasticity of the contractile apparatus from skeletal muscles
• role of prion protein-induced oligomerization of tubulin and phosphorylation of tau protein in the pathogenesis of prion diseases
• effects of arginine deprivation on actin cytoskeleton, cell migration and invasiveness
• formation and cytoskeletal modulation of the receptor- generated calcium signal in living cells
• regulation and mechanism of capacitative calcium signal
• role of calcium signaling in the regulation of cell motility
• protein chemistry
• fluorescence spectroscopy
• molecular and cell biology (micromanipulations, measurements of intracellular ions concentration, in vivo observations of cell motility and adhesion)
• fluorescence and electron microscopy
Current research activities:
• investigation of the involvement of class VI myosin in cell locomotion and intracellular trafficking
• analysis of the contractile apparatus in normal and atrophied muscles
• probing the interaction of prion protein with microtubular cytoskeleton
• fast calcium signal measurements
• imaging of receptor-induced calcium signal in primary culture neurons
• crosstalk between calcium and RhoA signaling pathways
Nieznanska H, Dudek E, Zajkowski T, Szczesna E, Kasprzak AA, Nieznanski K. (2012) Prion protein impairs kinesin-driven transport. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 425:788-793.
Karolczak J., Sobczak M., Majewski Ł., Yeghiazaryan M., Jakubiec-Puka A., Ehler E., Sławińska U., Wilczyński G., Rędowicz M.J. (2013) Myosin VI in skeletal muscle: its distribution in the sarcomere, neuromuscular junction and muscle nuclei. Histochem Cell Biol 139:873-885.
Nieznanski K, Surewicz K, Chen S, Nieznanska H, Surewicz WK. (2014) Interaction between prion protein and Aβ amyloid fibrils revisited. ACS Chem Neurosci 5:340-345.
J.P. Fichna, J. Karolczak, A. Potulska-Chromik, P. Miszta, M Berdyński, A. Sikorska, S. Filipek, M.J. Rędowicz, A.M. Kamińska, C. Żekanowski (2014) Desmin gene mutations associated with myofibrillar myopathies in the Polish population. PLOS One 9(12):e115470.
I Pavlyk, Y Rzhepetskyy, AK Jagielski, J. Drozak, A. Wasik, G. Pereverzieva, M. Olchowik, LA. Kunz-Schughart, O Stasyk, MJ Redowicz (2015) Arginine deprivation affects glioblastoma cell adhesion, invasiveness and actin cytoskeleton organization by impairment of β-actin arginylation. Amino Acids 47, 199-212.